Day 0: Bird Seed
It was not an activity-free day at the Cardinals’ spring training complex, but there was a feel that Wednesday was the calm before the storm of Day 1. Thursday marks the official start of camp, and the Cardinals will hold structured workouts for pitchers and catchers after everyone passes through for physicals. Wednesday was merely report day — the only required activity being that pitchers/catchers physically get themselves to Jupiter.
That said, there was some activity out on the backfields before everyone headed out for the day. Or if you are Adam Wainwright, you show up dressed for a tee time, hug your manager and head out even earlier. Don’t worry, he has been here for days.
Here are some other highlights from report day:
- Top prospect Oscar Taveras, who is wrapping up his recovery from ankle surgery, did some light running this morning. All signs are positive that Taveras will be cleared for normal activity around the time full-squad workouts begin. Said manager Mike Matheny: “Everything we’ve had so far is that he should be right on track.”
- The Cardinals will be two players short for their first pitchers/catchers workout on Thursday. Right-hander Jose Almarante, a non-roster invite, is stuck in the Dominican Republic with visa issues. Also, non-roster righty Sam Gaviglio is being delayed by weather issues.
- Taveras is among a number of position players to report early to Jupiter. Those early arrivals also include Matt Holliday, Matt Adams, Matt Carpenter and Kolten Wong.
- The catchers and infielders here did some drills with Jose Oquendo this morning. A year after he was trying to show everyone that he could be a capable second baseman, Carpenter was back fielding grounders at third.
- No pitchers threw off the mound on Wednesday, though several engaged in long-toss sessions on the outfield grass. That included Jason Motte, whose recovery from Tommy John surgery continues.
- Carlos Martinez will not be delayed by visa issues for a second straight season. You might remember that he was a non-roster invitee to camp last year but never got to participate because visa problems held him back in the Dominican Republic for more than a month. There are no such worries of a repeat snag, as he is already in Jupiter.
- Matheny did hold a brief session with the media this afternoon, after which he headed into a full staff meeting with general manager John Mozeliak.
Follow me on Twitter (@LangoschMLB), Instagram (LangoschMLB) and Facebook (Jenifer Langosch for Cardinals.com)